[Peace-discuss] a familiar family made it in the news for biking

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 14:59:40 CDT 2010

Rob Parker, Linda Evans and their three kids were on the WICD news.
http://www.wicd15.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wicd_vid_2316.shtml

No need to look for the keys.
One snap of the helmet and Champaign native Rob Parker is ready for his commute.
The year round biker, has been pedaling every where for over a year.

"About a year ago we were in an automobile accident and we have an
older car. It got totaled. So my wife and i decided to give it a
shot," says Parker

It wasn't an easy decision especially when you have three kids.
But the family is making it work.
"Our kids play soccer. We're a fairly normal family. We go to soccer
practice and that type of stuff. Most of the time we bike where we
go,"he adds.
MTD buses and the zip car help supplement their lifestyle.

The move has made rob an inspiration to his coworkers who say they are
willing to give it a shot.

"I think I'll do it once or twice a week now. It was not bad. It's
about four miles," says coworker Jay Patel.
"You know it's possible because he doesn't have any problem with it.
Like in the middle of winter, he's coming in on his bike," says Scott
Phillips.

Rob says he saves huge amounts of money and hassle without having to
fix up his car or pay car insurance.
He says the best advice he can give for anyone willing to try it, just
give it a go.
"You know we just used the car. It's always, oh it's there, I'll take
the car. You just kind of get used to it not being there. You just go
do your errands and do your thing as you normally would," says Parker.

--Reported By Ben Handelman

believed to be clean.