[Peace-discuss] Actions to force withdrawal from AfPak

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon May 10 14:49:53 CDT 2010

*Make three short phone calls to help end the war in AfPak*

It's long past time to end the war in Afghanistan and Pakistan. As President
Obama commits more and more troops and resources to this war, our fellow
Americans are realizing this too. With nearly every state and most major cities
in fiscal crisis, the president is asking Congress to authorize another $33
billion to fund the escalation of the war in "AfPak," as they say in Washington.

A vote for the Supplemental Appropriation is a vote to escalate the conflict -
to put more of our troops in harm's way - to escalate the killing, maiming and
destruction that war produces. Tell your representative and senators to vote NO
on the Afghanistan supplemental

Our nation's economy and infrastructure are a mess. The money we are squandering
on an unwinnable war should be used to clean it up!

Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI), Reps. Jim McGovern (D-MA), and Walter Jones (R-NC)
have introduced legislation to "require the President to develop a flexible
timetable to draw down U.S. troops from Afghanistan." H.R. 5015: "Redeployment
[sic] of U.S. Troops from Afghanistan," and its sister bill in the Senate, S.
3197, may aid the U.S. withdrawal effort.

But setting a timetable is no substitute for stopping the flow of funds that
perpetuate the war and occupation. That's why we want your representatives to do
both - vote "NO!" to block the $33 billion appropriation that will escalate the
war AND support and cosponsor the McGovern/Jones/Feingold timetable bill. (Rep.
McGovern also has urged his Congressional colleagues to reject the $33 billion
appropriation request.)

A dozen organizations* have joined in a National Call-in Week May 10–14 in
support of our demand to reject any funding to escalate the war in Afghanistan
and to support the timetable legislation to bring the troops home. Acting
together, we can put the strongest pressure on Congress.

PLEASE MAKE THREE BRIEF CALLS to your representative and two senators:
	Representative Tim Johnson: 202-225-2371
	Senator Richard Durbin: 202-224-2152
	Senator Roland Burris: 202-224-2854

Rep. Johnson has already announced that he will vote AGAINST the $33 billion war
appropriation - congratulate him for doing so - but both senators, being
Democrats, will probably vote for it, unless enough of their constituents complain.

If you'd like to prepare in advance for the kinds of excuses you might get, see
an article by David Swanson, "33 Billion Dishonest Excuses for War
<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/51952>."
__________________

*Participating organizations in the May 10–14 National Call-in Week:
	American Friends Service Committee
	CODEPINK
	Friends Committee on National Legislation
	Institute for Policy Studies
	Just Foreign Policy
	Military Families Speak Out
	Pax Christi