[Peace-discuss] [Peace] 4th of July: "150 Years of Local Heroes"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon May 10 15:38:42 CDT 2010

I'm afraid Laurie's right about Lincoln; it took some substantial effort (and
selective quotation) to include him in an anti-war float last year.

It's not much problem to find local heroes of the civil rights movement; it's
more trouble perhaps to find local heroes of the anti-war movement.

At the AWARE meeting last night, someone mentioned the pacifist Dorothy Day (a
student at UIUC). Others suggested we interpret "local" widely enough to
include Jane Addams, William Jennings Bryan, Eugene Debs, etc.

I think it would be wise not to include any living figures, not only to help
recover local anti-war history, but also to avoid current debates over what
constitutes an anti-war position. --CGE

On 5/10/10 12:37 PM, Laurie Solomon wrote:
> Some how Stuart seems to think that Lincoln was anti-war AND anti-racist;
> this is a questionable assumption and assertion at best. Aside from people
> like John Lee Johnson and others that I have mentioned in a previous post,
> there is Vernon L. Barkstall.

believed to be clean.