[Peace-discuss] Obama: billions for bankers & killers, not one cent for jobs

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri May 14 01:01:50 CDT 2010

[Where is the federal jobs program and/or the guaranteed annual income?]

	Buffalo billboard petitions president for "a freakin' job"
	Thu May 13, 3:52 pm ET

"I need a freakin' job." That's the message President Obama saw as he arrived in
Buffalo, N.Y.,  this afternoon for an event talking up the administration's
success in creating new jobs. He also pitched Congress on approving a $30
billion credit for small-business growth.

Yet critics say Obama has been focusing his recovery efforts too narrowly and
hasn't done enough to help people find work. After all, the latest job figures
show 9.9 percent of the country still out of work. That inspired a group of
unemployed Buffalo residents — who also have a website called INAFJ.org — to
appeal to the president in the form of a billboard along the route his motorcade
took into town. Here is a photo of the billboard:

The group has also produced a video, which can be viewed here:

Yet jobs aren't a huge priority for either party heading into the midterm
campaigns, as Politics Daily's Jill Lawrence notes. That might be because other
issues have taken precedence. A new Gallup poll finds that for the first time in
two months, the issue of "jobs" has fallen to No. 2 on the list of issues
Americans are most concerned about. The new No. 1 issue: The economy in general.
White House officials defend their efforts on jobs, saying the president has
been focused as much on creating new jobs as on "saving" current positions.

[Lost jobs that won’t come back]

But here's a sign the job seekers' message to the administration may be getting
through: The White House just announced Obama will travel next Tuesday to
Youngstown, Ohio — where unemployment hit 15.1 percent last month, the city's
highest jobless rate in more than 15 years. The focus of Obama's visit: "jobs
and the economy," according to the White House.

And a more direct sign still: Obama press aide Bill Burton was asked about the
billboard in today's press gaggle. His reply was, "The President is here to talk
about jobs, what his administration has done to create jobs, what we need to do
in order to create an environment where small businesses can create jobs. So the
answer is, we're on the path to creating more jobs, and we've got a lot more
work to do."

—Holly Bailey is the senior politics writer for Yahoo! News.

believed to be clean.