[Peace-discuss] Historical myth

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Fri May 14 22:42:23 CDT 2010

For those who want a partial rebuttal of Kenny's "review", I suggest as a start what is related at

http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/thebrights/forum/topics/concerning-david-bentley-harts

I may be biased, but this review of the (original) review makes more sense then the original review,--to me of course.

Thanks, Carl. But I wouldn't mind lookingt at the the book, although I'm told it's rather long and dense.

--mkb

On May 14, 2010, at 4:37 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> It's "false in every identifiable detail," as those who've actually studied history know perfectly well.  Hart spends six chapters destroying this capitalist myth, but it's really nothing new.
>
> I'd be happy to buy you a copy of the book, if you'd read it, Mort.
>

> On 5/14/10 4:19 PM, Morton K. Brussel wrote:
>> Seems to me that almost all of what he says in this paragraph is true, but
>> not as categorically as he states,--- except for his last sentence. ;-)
>>
>> So this is where you went wrong?
>>
>> --mkb
>>
>> On May 14, 2010, at 4:10 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>>
>>> "Secularists invite us to believe the following story. In the medieval ages
>>> of faith, culture stagnated, science languished, wars of religion were
>>> routinely waged, witches were burned by inquisitors, and Western humanity
>>> was enslaved to superstition. The literary remains of antiquity had been
>>> consigned to the flames, and the achievements of Greek science lay
>>> forgotten until Islam restored them to the West. The age of faith was
>>> succeeded by an age of reason and enlightenment, which gave us the riches
>>> of scientific achievement and political liberty, and a new and
>>> revolutionary sense of human dignity. The modern separation of Church and
>>> State has put an end to the blood-steeped intolerance of religion. Western
>>> humanity has at last left its nonage and attained to its majority in
>>> science, politics and ethics. 'This is,' Hart says, 'a simple and
>>> enchanting tale ... its sole defect is that it happens to be false in every
>>> identifiable detail.'"
>>>
>>> --From Oxford philosopher Anthony Kenny's review of "Atheist Delusions: The
>>> Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies," by David Bentley Hart
>>> (Yale UP, 2010). Kenny co-taught with the late Herbert McCabe, Terry
>>> Eagleton's mentor (and mine).
>>>
>>> http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture/item/anthony_kenny_on_atheist_delusions_20100514/
>>>

> --
>>> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
>>> MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.