[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] [sf-core] Fwd: yesterday's article on massive racial inequality in wealth

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Fri May 21 11:56:44 CDT 2010

Racism (like sexism) can in principle be overcome by a change in mind, by
reconciliation. But class is different; that requires a change in social reality
- wealth, and role in the process of production. Reconciliation - good feelings
- between exploiter and exploited serves the interests of only one.

Some people (usually not Americans) have noted the difference "between the goals
of feminist, anti-racist, anti-sexist struggles on the one hand, and class
struggle on the other. In the first case, the goal is to translate antagonism
into difference (the peaceful coexistence of sexes, religions, ethnic groups),
but the goal of class struggle is precisely the opposite: to aggravate class
difference into class antagonism. To set up a series of equivalences between
race, gender and class is to obscure the peculiar logic of class struggle, which
aims at overcoming, subduing, even annihilating the other – if not its physical
being, then at least its socio-political role and function. In the one case, we
have a horizontal logic involving mutual recognition among different identities;
in the other, we have the logic of struggle with an antagonist" [Slavoj Zizek].

believed to be clean.