[Peace-discuss] The British contrast

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat May 22 20:34:05 CDT 2010

[I think Greenwald may overstate his praise for the new British government here,
but the contrast with the increasingly illiberal Obama administration is
noteworthy.  Obama deserves impeachment for war crimes - aggressive war in
AfPak, torture at Bagram, assassination from Pakistan to Yemen - and his
domestic policy - in thrall to banks, insurance companies and the institutions
of the rich - is joined to increased repression that contrasts with the new
British practice. Administration policy filters down - the increasing impunity
of police, prosecutors, and sheriffs across the country is not separate from the
tone set by the administration. We can hope (and work) for a massive repudiation
of the Democrats at the polls in November, but that doesn't put in place an
appropriate alternate program at home or abroad.  Only ever-increasing public
pressure can do that.  --CGE]

	Glen Greenwald's Notes
	The Tory/Lib-Dem Government endorses actual change
	Yesterday at 6:22am

Over the past couple years, I've written numerous times about the serious
left-right coalition that had emerged in Britain -- between the Tories and
Liberal Democrats -- in opposition to the Labour Government's civil liberties
abuses, many (thought not all) of which were justified by Terrorism.  In June of
2008, David Davis, a leading Tory MP, resigned from Parliament in protest of the
Government's efforts to expand its power of preventive detention to 42 days (and
was then overwhelmingly re-elected on a general platform of opposing growing
surveillance and detention authorities).  Numerous leading figures from both the
Right and Left defied their party's establishment to speak out in support of
Davis and against the Government's growing powers.  Back then, the Liberal
Democrats' Leader, Nick Clegg, notably praised the right-wing Davis'
resignation, and to show his support for Davis' positions, Clegg even refused to
run a Lib Dem candidate for that seat because, as he put it, "some issues 'go
beyond party politics'."

Now that this left-right, Tory/Lib-Dem alliance has removed the Labour Party
from power and is governing Britain, these commitments to restoring core
liberties -- Actual Change -- show no sign of retreating.  Rather than cynically
tossing these promises of restrained government power onto the trash pile of
insincere campaign rhetoric, they are implementing them into actual policy.
Clegg, now the Deputy Prime Minister, gave an extraordinary speech last week in
which he vowed "the biggest shake-up of our democracy since 1832."  He railed
against a litany of government policies and proposals that form the backbone of
Britain's Surveillance State, from ID Card schemes, national identity registers,
biometric passports, the storing of Internet and email records, to DNA
databases, proliferating security cameras, and repressive restrictions on free
speech and assembly rights.  But more striking than these specific positions
were the general, anti-authoritarian principles he espoused -- ones that sound
increasingly foreign to most Americans.  Clegg said:

It is outrageous that decent, law-abiding people are regularly treated as if
they have something to hide.  It has to stop. . . . And we will end practices
that risk making Britain a place where our children grow up so used to their
liberty being infringed that they accept it without question. . . . This will be
a government that is proud when British citizens stand up against illegitimate
advances of the state. . . .

And we will, of course, introduce safeguards to prevent the misuse of
anti-terrorism legislation.  There have been too many cases of individuals being
denied their rights . . . And whole communities being placed under suspicion. .
. . This government will do better by British justice.  Respecting great,
British freedoms . . . Which is why we'll also defend trial by jury.

Clegg also inveighed against the oppressive criminal justice system that
imprisons far too many citizens and criminalizes far too many acts with no
improvement in safety, and also pledged radical reform to the political system
in order to empower citizens over wealthy interests.  To underscore that this
was not mere rhetoric, the Tory/Lib-Dem coalition published their official
platform containing all of these proposals, and the Civil Liberties section
begins with language inconceivable for mainstream American discourse:  "The
Government believes the British state has become too authoritarian, and that
over the past decade it has abused fundamental human rights and historic civil
liberties."

Most striking of all, the new Government (specifically William Hague, its
conservative Foreign Secretary) just announced that "a judge will investigate
claims that British intelligence agencies were complicit in the torture of
terror suspects."  More amazing still:

The judicial inquiry announced by the foreign secretary into Britain's role in
torture and rendition since September 2001 is poised to shed extraordinary light
on one of the darkest episodes in the country's recent history.

It is expected to expose not only details of the activities of the security and
intelligence officials alleged to have colluded in torture since 9/11, but also
the identities of the senior figures in government who authorised those
activities.  . . . Those who have been most bitterly resisting an inquiry --
including a number of senior figures in the last government -- may have been
dismayed to see the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition formed, as this
maximised the chances of a judicial inquiry being established.

What an astounding feat of human innovation:  they are apparently able to Look
Backward and Forward at the same time!  And this concept that an actual court
will review allegations of grave Government crimes rather than ignoring them in
the name of Political Harmony:  my, the British, even after all these centuries,
do continue to invent all sorts of brand new and exotic precepts of modern liberty.

Most readers have likely been doing so already when reading these prior
paragraphs, but just contrast all of this to what is taking place in the United
States under Democratic Party rule.  We get -- from the current Government --
presidential assassination programs, detention with no charges, senseless
demands for further reductions of core rights when arrested, ongoing secret
prisons filled with abuse, military commissions, warrantless surveillance of
emails, and presidential secrecy claims to block courts from reviewing claims of
government crimes.  The Democratic-led Congress takes still new steps to block
the closing of Guantanamo.  Democratic leaders push for biometric, national ID
cards.  The most minimal surveillance safeguards are ignored.  Even the
miniscule limits on eavesdropping powers are transgressed.  And from just this
week:  "Millions of Americans arrested for but not convicted of crimes will
likely have their DNA forcibly extracted and added to a national database,
according to a bill approved by the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday"
(h/t Dan Gillmor).

Can anyone even imagine for one second Barack Obama standing up and saying:  "My
administration believes that the American state has become too authoritarian"?
Even if he were willing to utter those words -- and he wouldn't be -- his doing
so would trigger a massive laughing fit in light of his actions.  While Nick
Clegg says this week that his civil liberties commitments are "so important that
he was taking personal responsibility for implementing them, and promised that
the new government would not be 'insecure about relinquishing control'," our
Government moves inexorably in the other direction.

I don't want to idealize what's taking place in Britain:  it still remains to be
seen how serious these commitments are and how genuine of an investigation into
the torture regime will be conducted.  But clearly, what was once a fringe
position there has now become the mainstream platform of their new Government:
that it's imperative to ensure that their country is not "a place where our
children grow up so used to their liberty being infringed that they accept it
without question."

That's exactly what the U.S. has become, as each new Terrorist attack (or even
failed attack) prompts one question and one question only, no matter which party
is in power:  "which rights do we give up now"?  And  each serious government
crime engenders new excuses for vesting political leaders with immunity.  And no
new government power of detention, surveillance, or privacy-invasion is too
extreme or unwarranted.  Unlike in Britain, the term "civil liberties" or the
phrase "the state has become too authoritarian" is, in the U.S., one which only
Fringe Purist Absolutists utter.  Unlike in Britain, efforts to impose serious
constraints on unchecked government power are, in the U.S., the exclusive and
lonely province of The Unserious Losers among us.  And unlike in Britain, the
notion that political leaders should actually do what they vowed during the
campaign they would do is, in the U.S., a belief held only by terribly
un-Pragmatic purist ideologues.  Whatever else is true, it is encouraging that a
major Western country -- one that has been the victim of a horrific terrorist
attack and that has a substantial Muslim population -- has a government that is
explicitly advocating (and, at least to some extent, implementing) these ideals.

	###

believed to be clean.