[Peace-discuss] Disingenuity

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon May 24 10:07:06 CDT 2010

"I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen
blood running from the wounded. I have seen men coughing out their
gassed lungs. I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities
destroyed. I have seen 200 limping, exhausted men come out of
line—the survivors of a regiment of 1,000 that went forward 48
hours before. I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony
of mothers and wives. I hate war."

--Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1936

"America does not fight for the sake of fighting. We abhor war. As
one who has never experienced the field of battle -- and I say
that with humility, knowing, as General MacArthur said, "the
soldier above all others prays for peace" -- we fight because we
must. We fight to keep our families and communities safe. We fight
for the security of our allies and partners, because America
believes that we will be safer when our friends are safer; that we
will be stronger when the world is more just."

--Barack Obama, 2010

believed to be clean.