[Peace-discuss] Alea iacta est

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Wed May 26 12:01:17 CDT 2010

Good, I am glad we have gotten the meaning and derivation of those terms out
of the way.  It was informative even if the terms themselves are hardly seen
or heard these days since most of today's population tend to be much more
direct than persons of earlier generations.  Now we need to determine how
those terms moved from references to asses to genitals (male or female) or
genitals to asses.  Kissing a horse's ass or even patting it is certainly
different from kissing or patting a horse's genitals (there are different
parts of the anatomy or are they?) and a horse is not only a different
species than a human; but in my humble opinion, a far better and preferred
species.  Since "sucking up to" or "kissing the ass of" one's superiors and
even one's equals - literally or figuratively - has become a way of life in
the highly bureaucratized world today where no one is ever sure who is in
charge now or will be in the future and whose ass to kiss or who to suck up
to so as to cover one's own ass, we have all become "Bozos on this bus."
Some like Petraeus are better at it than others or more creative at it than
others; but I would not rule out that people like Admiral William Fallon
have not done their share of ass kissing or genital sucking to get where
they are.

The point of this is to note that in today's world no one gets to positions
of authority and power, influence and control, or officialdom and wealth
without being a good game player, who is playing at the top of their game.
Thus, the meek shall not inherit the earth; they will only inherit the dirt.
Those who do inherit the earth (why they would want to I will never know)
are going to be those who are savvy, intelligent, and shrewd players who no
one should ever trust - but whom the masses tend, in a fit of false
consciousness, to believe, trust, and follow rather than think and do for
themselves.  Finding a proper name to use to label and describe those
players and discussing the derivation of said terms tends to become another
distraction and misdirection away from the substance of the problem.  Are we
engaging in such distractions and misdirection because we refuse to bracket
the realities of today's world so as to call those realities into question
and treat the existence and survival of those realities as problematic in
order to counterfactually propose alternative groundings for our views of
other possibilities?  Can there be a different set of presuppositions for
grounding our world which enables the possibility of organizing and
structuring it in a way so as to make ass kissing and sucking up an
impossibility - or at least a negatively sanctioned reality?