[Peace-discuss] One Week to Stop $33.5 Billion for War Escalation

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Sun May 30 18:15:53 CDT 2010

[This is important, and our local political situation is a surprise to some
people.  Our Congressional representative, Tim Johnson (R-IL15), who voted for
the American assaults on Afghanistan and Iraq, now says that he was wrong to do
so - and that he will NOT vote for any more funds for war in the Middle East.
But his Democratic opponent, David Gill, will not make a similar pledge.  Watch
what happens next week: see if Tim does indeed vote against war (as he has
already) - and if David will end his silence on what he'd do. Champaign-Urbana
certainly should not send another vote for war funding to Washington, and it's
unconscionable for David Gill not to tell us how he'd vote. --CGE]

	One Week to Stop $33.5 Billion for War Escalation
	<DefundWar.org>

The Senate, as expected, has already passed the bill, but the House is always
where we've had a chance and is all we need.  Your representative in the House
is home in his or her district this week, a perfect opportunity for you to talk
to them before they return to Washington, D.C., next week and vote $33.5 billion
to escalate the Afghan war.

The most prominent excuse you'll hear is that good things may be packaged into
the same bill.  But those good things will not outweigh the damage done by the
war escalation and could be passed separately.  We cannot afford the human or
financial cost.  And the blowback from these wars endangers us all no matter
what our domestic policies are.

Keep track of where your representative stands at <http://defundwar.org>.

What to say [IN OUR CASE, TO THE DEMOCRAT!]: "If you do not try to block the war
escalation funding, I will try to block your election in November.  If you
support peace, I will support you.  Please commit publicly to voting No, no
matter what nice things that could be passed separately are packaged into the
same vote.  Please join the 70 congressional candidates from every political
party who have signed a statement against war spending at <http://caws.us>."

believed to be clean.