[Peace-discuss] About Last Night

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 3 19:12:11 CDT 2010

"...viewing last night's Blue Dog losses with happiness, I [nevertheless see]
many complex factors that account for last night's crushing of Congressional
Democrats: widespread economic suffering, anxiety over America's obvious
decline, the perception that Obama has done little to undermine destructive
status quo forces and much to bolster them, etc. etc. ... the ... rational
conclusion -- given the eradication of 50% of the Blue Dog caucus -- is that the
worst possible choice Democrats can make is to run as GOP-replicating
corporatists devoted above all else to serving corporate interests in order to
perpetuate their own power: what Washington calls "centrists" and "conservative
Democrats" ... The number of Obama followers writing to me on Twitter and
elsewhere telling me that left-wing critics of the President are the primary
cause of last night's outcome - rather than massive economic suffering and the
actions of their Leader - is even more than I expected.  Bizarrely, they
actually seem to have convinced themselves of this; I suppose one who is
desperate to cling to their leader-love will find any theory that shields him
from responsibility. .."

     Pundit sloth: Blaming the left
     BY GLENN GREENWALD

Ten minutes was the absolute maximum I could endure of any one television news
outlet last night without having to switch channels in the futile search for
something more bearable, but almost every time I had MNSBC on, there was
Lawrence O'Donnell trying to blame "the Left" and "liberalism" for the
Democrats' political woes.  Alan Grayson's loss was proof that outspoken
liberalism fails.  Blanche Lincoln's loss was the fault of the Left for mounting
a serious primary challenge against her. Russ Feingold's defeat proved that
voters reject liberalism in favor of conservatism, etc. etc.  It sounded as
though he was reading from some crusty script jointly prepared in 1995 by/The
New Republic/, Lanny Davis and the DLC.

There are so many obvious reasons why this "analysis" is false: Grayson
represents a highly conservative district that hadn't been Democratic for
decades before he won in 2008 and he made serious mistakes during the campaign;
Lincoln was behind the GOP challenger by more than 20 points back in January,
before Bill Halter even announced his candidacy; Feingold was far from a
conventional liberal, having repeatedly opposed his own party on multiple
issues, and he ran in a state saddled with a Democratic governor who was
unpopular in the extreme.  Beyond that, numerous liberals who were alleged to be
in serious electoral trouble kept their seats: Barney Frank, John Dingell, Rush
Holt, Raul Grijalva, and many others.  But there's one glaring, steadfastly
ignored fact destroying O'Donnell's attempt -- which is merely the standard
pundit storyline that has been baking for months and will now be served en masse
-- to blame The Left and declare liberalism dead.  It's this little inconvenient
fact:

"*Blue Dog Coalition Crushed By GOP Wave Election*

"Tuesday was a tough night for Democrats, as they watched Republicans win enough
seats to take back the House in the next Congress and began to ponder life under
a likely House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). But one group hit especially hard
was the Blue Dog Coalition, *with half of its members losing their seats.*

"According to an analysis by The Huffington Post, 23 of the 46 Blue Dogs up for
re-election went down on Tuesday. Notable losses included Rep. Stephanie
Herseth-Sandlin (D-S.D.), the coalition's co-chair for administration, and Rep.
Baron Hill (D-Ind.), the co-chair for policy. Two members were running for
higher office (both lost), three were retiring and three races were still too
close to call.

"The Blue Dogs, a coalition of moderate to conservative Democrats in the House,
have consistently frustrated their more progressive colleagues and activists
within the party..."/

Half of the Blue Dog incumbents were defeated, and by themselves accounted for
close to half of the Democratic losses./ Some of us have been arguing for quite
some time that the Rahm-engineered dependence on Blue Dog power is one of the
many factors that has made the Democratic Party so weak, blurry,
indistinguishable from the GOP, and therefore so politically inept, and would
thus be stronger and better without them -- here's a 2008 Salon article I wrote
making that case.  Despite viewing last night's Blue Dog losses with happiness,
I wouldn't point to this outcome as vindication for my argument, as there are
many complex factors that account for last night's crushing of Congressional
Democrats: widespread economic suffering, anxiety over America's obvious
decline, the perception that Obama has done little to undermine destructive
status quo forces and much to bolster them, etc. etc.

But for slothful pundits who want to derive sweeping meaning from individual
races in order to blame the Left and claim that last night was a repudiation of
liberalism, the far more rational conclusion -- given the eradication of 50% of
the Blue Dog caucus -- is that the worst possible choice Democrats can make is
to run as GOP-replicating corporatists devoted above all else to serving
corporate interests in order to perpetuate their own power: what Washington
calls "centrists" and "conservative Democrats."  That is who bore the bulk of
the brunt of last night's Democratic bloodbath -- not liberals.

* * * * *

One other point about the standard pundit line: for all the giddy talk about the
power of the "Tea Party" -- which is, more than anything else, just a marketing
tactic for re-branding the Republican Party -- the reality is that the Tea Party
almost certainly cost the GOP control of the Senate. Had standard-issue GOP
candidates rather than Tea Party fanatics been nominated in Delaware, Colorado,
Alaska and Nevada, the Republicans would have almost certainly won those seats
(in Alaska, rejecting the GOP incumbent in favor of a Tea Party candidates
appears to have ensured that Lisa Murkowski will return to DC as a GOP-hating
reject rather than a loyal Republican, the way Joe Lieberman returned after
2006). That's not a criticism of the Tea Party -- I think it's admirable to
support candidates who represent one's views and be willing to take a few extra
losses to do so -- but the Tea Party storyline from last night is one that is
far from unadulterated success; in the case of Senate control, it's quite the
opposite.

UPDATE:  On a related note, in The New York Times today, one finds the spectacle
of Evan Bayh -- who gave up his Senate seat to a Republican while he frolicks
around in the millions of dollars his wife receives from the health care
industry -- demanding massive entitlement cuts for the poor and freezes on the
pay for government workers, while also blaming the Democratic loss on the
alleged fact that*"we were too deferential to our most zealous supporters." * Is
he referring there to the escalation in the war in Afghanistan, the massive
increase in civilian-slaughtering drone attacks, the virtually wholesale embrace
of the Bush/Cheney civil liberties architecture, the defense of
Don't-Ask/Don't-Tell and DOMA, the multi-billion-dollar bailout of Wall Street,
the failure to stem the tide of the foreclosure crisis, or the elimination of
the public option?  Apparently, the lesson Evan Bayh -- and most pundits -- took
from last night's results, and which they want the Party to learn, is that if
only Democrats had suppressed the enthusiasm of their base just a little more,
they would have won.

UPDATE II:  The number of Obama followers writing to me on Twitter and elsewhere
telling me that left-wing critics of the President are the primary cause of last
night's outcome -- rather than massive economic suffering and the actions of
their Leader -- is even more than I expected.  Bizarrely, they actually seem to
have convinced themselves of this; I suppose one who is desperate to cling to
their leader-love will find any theory that shields him from responsibility.
Behold the supreme power of the Professional Left!!

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/11/03/pundit/index.html