[Peace-discuss] Chomsky: Americans are Outraged and Misguided

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 10 13:12:57 CST 2010

"The U.S. midterm elections register a level of anger, fear and disillusionment
in the country like nothing I can recall in my lifetime. Since the Democrats are
in power, they bear the brunt of the revulsion over our current socioeconomic
and political situation. More than half [of the US population] view the Tea
Party movement favorably - a reflection of the spirit of disenchantment."

Americans are Outraged and Misguided
November 5, 2010
by Noam Chomsky
In These Times

The U.S. midterm elections register a level of anger, fear and disillusionment
in the country like nothing I can recall in my lifetime. Since the Democrats are
in power, they bear the brunt of the revulsion over our current socioeconomic
and political situation.

More than half the “mainstream Americans” in a Rasmussen poll last month said
they view the Tea Party movement favorably—a reflection of the spirit of
disenchantment.

The grievances are legitimate. For more than 30 years, real incomes for the
majority of the population have stagnated or declined while work hours and
insecurity have increased, along with debt. Wealth has accumulated, but in very
few pockets, leading to unprecedented inequality.

These consequences mainly spring from the financialization of the economy since
the 1970s and the corresponding hollowing-out of domestic production. Spurring
the process is the deregulation mania favored by Wall Street and supported by
economists mesmerized by efficient-market myths.

People see that the bankers who were largely responsible for the financial
crisis and who were saved from bankruptcy by the public are now reveling in
record profits and huge bonuses. Meanwhile official unemployment stays at about
10 percent. Manufacturing is at Depression levels: one in six out of work, with
good jobs unlikely to return.

People rightly want answers, and they are not getting them except from voices
that tell tales that have some internal coherence—if you suspend disbelief and
enter into their world of irrationality and deceit.

Ridiculing Tea Party shenanigans is a serious error, however. It is far more
appropriate to understand what lies behind the movement’s popular appeal, and to
ask ourselves why justly angry people are being mobilized by the extreme right
and not by the kind of constructive activism that rose during the Depression,
like the CIO (Congress of Industrial Organizations).

Now Tea Party sympathizers are hearing that every institution—government,
corporations and the professions—is rotten, and that nothing works.

Amid the joblessness and foreclosures, the Democrats can’t complain about the
policies that led to the disaster. President Ronald Reagan and his Republican
successors may have been the worst culprits, but the policies began with
President Jimmy Carter and accelerated under President Bill Clinton. During the
presidential election, Barack Obama’s primary constituency was financial
institutions, which have gained remarkable dominance over the economy in the
past generation.

That incorrigible 18th-century radical Adam Smith, speaking of England, observed
that the principal architects of power were the owners of the society—in his day
the merchants and manufacturers—and they made sure that government policy would
attend scrupulously to their interests, however “grievous” the impact on the
people of England; and worse, on the victims of “the savage injustice of the
Europeans” abroad.

A modern and more sophisticated version of Smith’s maxim is political economist
Thomas Ferguson’s “investment theory of politics,” which sees elections as
occasions when groups of investors coalesce in order to control the state by
selecting the architects of policies who will serve their interests.

Ferguson’s theory turns out to be a very good predictor of policy over long
periods. That should hardly be surprising. Concentrations of economic power will
naturally seek to extend their sway over any political process. The dynamic
happens to be extreme in the U.S.

Yet it can be said that the corporate high rollers have a valid defense against
charges of “greed” and disregard for the health of the society. Their task is to
maximize profit and market share; in fact, that’s their legal obligation. If
they don’t fulfill that mandate, they’ll be replaced by someone who will. They
also ignore systemic risk: the likelihood that their transactions will harm the
economy generally. Such “externalities” are not their concern—not because they
are bad people, but for institutional reasons.

When the bubble bursts, the risk-takers can flee to the shelter of the nanny
state. Bailouts—a kind of government insurance policy—are among many perverse
incentives that magnify market inefficiencies.

“There is growing recognition that our financial system is running a doomsday
cycle,” economists Peter Boone and Simon Johnson wrote in the Financial Times in
January. “Whenever it fails, we rely on lax money and fiscal policies to bail it
out. This response teaches the financial sector: Take large gambles to get paid
handsomely, and don’t worry about the costs—they will be paid by taxpayers”
through bailouts and other devices, and the financial system “is thus
resurrected to gamble again—and to fail again.”

The doomsday metaphor also applies outside the financial world. The American
Petroleum Institute, backed by the Chamber of Commerce and the other business
lobbies, has intensified its efforts to persuade the public to dismiss concerns
about anthropogenic global warming—with considerable success, as polls indicate.
Among Republican congressional candidates in the 2010 election, virtually all
reject global warming.

The executives behind the propaganda know that global warming is real, and our
prospects grim. But the fate of the species is an externality that the
executives must ignore, to the extent that market systems prevail. And the
public won’t be able to ride to the rescue when the worst-case scenario unfolds.

I am just old enough to remember those chilling and ominous days of Germany’s
descent from decency to Nazi barbarism, to borrow the words of Fritz Stern, the
distinguished scholar of German history. In a 2005 article, Stern indicates that
he has the future of the United States in mind when he reviews “a historic
process in which resentment against a disenchanted secular world found
deliverance in the ecstatic escape of unreason.”

The world is too complex for history to repeat, but there are nevertheless
lessons to keep in mind as we register the consequences of another election
cycle. No shortage of tasks waits for those who seek to present an alternative
to misguided rage and indignation, helping to organize the countless disaffected
and to lead the way to a better future.

***

Noam Chomsky is Institute Professor & Professor of Linguistics (Emeritus) at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the author of dozens of books on U.S.
foreign policy. He writes a monthly column for The New York Times News
Service/Syndicate.