[Peace-discuss] Demonstrations against proposed fee hikes in Britain

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 13 07:58:34 CST 2010

If you'd like to see these Anglo-Saxon attitudes translated out of the basic
Anglo-Saxon, below, see John Gray, "Progressive, like the 1980s" in the recent
London Review of Books. (It's online but by subscription; write me if you want a
copy.)

Gray describes how the principles of neoliberalism were established in the
British government directly from Thatcher to Blair/Brown and Cameron/Clegg:

"Instead of the type of liberalism exemplified by Hobhouse and Keynes, which
accepted that the market had to be curbed when it failed to benefit society, the
party was sold a liberalism in which the market became the benchmark by which
society would be judged. Rather than being assessed according to standards of
freedom and equality, the market became the fundamental norm from which any
departure would in future have to be justified."

This view characterizes the leaders of the industrialized democracies, from the
Cat Food commission to this week's G20 posturings. The point is not the the
attitudes of these particular grasping individuals - nasty climbers all (Clegg,
Sarkozy, Merkel, Obama) - but the wealthy establishments they all shill for.
Gray explains how their liberalism is of a sort that makes them fucking Tories too.

People are beginning to object in the UK, France, and Germany.  Perhaps here too
soon.  --CGE