[Peace-discuss] National Day of Mourning declared for windows of Millbank Tower

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Sat Nov 13 13:31:10 CST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:46:42PM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> This is funny and quite appropriate. For the information of us
> non-Londoners, Millbank Tower is a 30+story skyscraper in the City of
> Westminster at Millbank, on the banks of the River Thames in London, in the
> United Kingdom. It is a landmark on the London skyline, sitting beside the
> River Thames, half a mile upstream from the Palace of Westminster. This
> week the Conservative (Tory) Party offices in a nearby building (30
> Millbank) were occupied by protesters as part of a demonstration against
> changes to education funding. Perhaps here, too - soon.  --CGE
>
> http://triflingoffence.blogspot.com/2010/11/national-day-of-mourning-declared-for.html?spref=fb

Its companion is delightful, too:

    http://triflingoffence.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-are-all-windows-now.html

     We Are All Windows Now

    [...]
    Upon reading this it struck me that we have reached an important
    moment in the history of British politics: the moment when the British
    people, tired of being treated as mere statistics and objects by their
    'superiors', can finally get their revenge by becoming objects.
    While on the face of it this plan appears counter-intuitive, even crazy,
    it is actually the best thing to happen in British politics since
    Thatcher died (Editor's note: she's not quite dead yet, despite
    haunting us all - please amend for final post).  The beauty of it is
    that, by becoming windows (or other object of your choice) we will
    in one fell swoop qualify ourselves for (a) the protection of the
    courts (b) the protection of the police and (c) the blind affections
    of journalists.

    As windows then we will no longer be abused by the police and their
    arbitrary powers, we will be able to assert our right to a life of
    ease and leisure sitting within a supportive frame, and above all
    our voice will be heard within public political discussion.  [...]