[Peace-discuss] County board size

John Bambenek jcb.blog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:37:40 CST 2010

Since my opinion was referenced, I thought I should send an
explanation.  I support a smaller board in general because the way
things are configured now, we have dead weight and one of the largest
boards of any county in the state.

There is a concern of gerrymandering, but the number of districts is
key.  If we go to a larger number of districts, those districts would
be smaller and harder to gerrymander.  The bigger the districts, the
more games you can play.

As for multi-member districts, I don't think they serve any real
purpose unless you have something like bullet-voting to allow
"minority" representation in a district. By thst I mean political
minority, like Republican in a Dem district and vice versa.  Assuming
we got to 11 districts of two members, at least every district would
have on candidate up (presumably) each cycle.

My only real concern with an even-numbered board is the possibility...
Well probability, that we end up gridlocked on important issues.

--
John Bambenek
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JohnBambenek