[Peace-discuss] more wingnut economics, courtesy of Mike Pence

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 20:01:55 CST 2010

The "dual-mandate policy" that Pence is referring to is the legal
requirement that the Fed, in addition to caring about inflation, also
has to care about unemployment. Pence is saying that the Fed should
not be required to care about unemployment, and should give up caring
about it. Thus, the power of the Fed should be limited - limited from
caring about unemployment.

Welcome to Tea Party economics: the central bank should not be allowed
to care about unemployment.

Down, down with the Tea Party goldbugs. Long live the Keynesian Fed.

Pence's "argument" reminds me of the Tom Tomorrow cartoon where he
makes fun of right-wingers who argued that we should get rid of
welfare, because it has failed, because there are still poor people.
Right, he said. And we should get rid of the fire department, because
there are still fires.