[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on where to find Marxists

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 20 20:09:13 CST 2010

I don't think anybody should be any kind of an "-ist." As far as Marx's analysis
of capitalism, there's a lot of very useful ideas in it, but we have to remember
- and he would've been the first to say - he's developing an abstract model of
19th century capitalism. It's abstract and it's changed. /As far as his
prescriptions for the post-capitalist future were concerned, he really didn't
have much to say./ And with some justice, I think. On the other hand ... he
offered lots of insights into how society works, and he was an extremely good
analyst of the current events of the day. I think he would take it for granted
that elites [today] are basically Marxist - they believe in class analysis, they
believe in class struggle, and in a really business-run society like the United
States, the business elites are deeply committed to class struggle and are
engaged in it all the time. And they understand. They're instinctive Marxists;
they don't have to read it.

 From <http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20101119.htm>