[Peace-discuss] What are we doing in AfPak?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 20 20:54:39 CST 2010

QUESTION: A 2008 Washington Post editorial [said] Afghanistan's "strategic
importance pales beside that of Iraq, which lies at the geopolitical center of
the Middle East and contains some of the world's largest oil reserves." The
Afghanistan Study Group report advocates power sharing and downsizing; they also
advocate ending military operations in southern Afghanistan. What are state
planners currently hoping to accomplish?

NOAM CHOMSKY: It seems to me that by now they are trying to find a way to
extricate themselves in a way that will enable them to declare victory, and to
keep a client state in power as much as possible. Not unlike what the Russians
were trying to do in the late '80s.

 From <http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20101119.htm>.