[Peace-discuss] John Nichols writes about Chalmers Johnson

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Nov 25 10:17:35 CST 2010

'Chalmers Johnson, a true son of the wisest and best of the founding
generation, spoke the language of James Madison, when he argued that a
republic could not maintain more than 700 military bases on foreign soil
and retain its own freedom.

It was a Madisonian impulse that caused Johnson to warn us that "as
militarism, the arrogance of power, and the euphemisms required to
justify imperialism inevitably conflict with America's democratic
structure of government and distort its culture and basic values, I fear
that we will lose our country."

It is a similarly Madisonian impulse, or what remains of it, that will
cause genuine patriots to read Johnson as they do the founders for
generations to come.'

***

[It is a sort of sorrow that we too frequently dismiss our friends and
potential allies because they see fit to support ideas that we don't
exactly agree with.  We shed too much of our own blood upon the ghastly
altar of partisanism, on the one hand dissing a group because of their
confused religiosity (not because of their faith) and on the other hand
attacking another group as being immoral (rather than accepting their
human condition).  I think we can all accept goodness as good and we can
agree on some of the things in our world that are truly not only lacking
in truth and value but also malicious and dangerously destructive to our
being.

Chalmers Johnson passed away this week as I noted previously.  He was
admired by anarchists, conservatives, libertarians and even progressives
and liberals.

Lew Rockwell, the Daily Paul, and even The Nation noted his passing.

John Nichols at The Nation wrote a particularly good tribute to Chalmers
Johnson. - ewj]

http://www.thenation.com/blog/156598/chalmers-johnson-and-patriotic-struggle-against-empire

Johnson, a frequent contributor to /The Nation/
<http://www.thenation.com/search/apachesolr_search/chalmers%20johnson>
in his later years, argued in his most impressive book, /The Sorrows of
Empire/
<http://www.amazon.com/Sorrows-Empire-Militarism-Republic-American/dp/0805077979/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c>,
that Americans needed to recognize something that their leaders denied:
that the United States, a nation founded in opposition to empire, had
become an empire.

"/The Sorrows of Empire/ was written during the American preparations
for and launching of the invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and
Iraq," he explained. "I began to study our continuous military buildup
since World War II and the 737 military bases we currently maintain in
other people's countries. This empire of bases is the concrete
manifestation of our global hegemony, and many of the blowback-inducing
wars we have conducted had as their true purpose the sustaining and
expanding of this network. We do not think of these overseas deployments
as a form of empire; in fact, most Americans do not give them any
thought at all until something truly shocking, such as the treatment of
prisoners a Guantánamo Bay, brings them to our attention. But the people
living next door to these bases and dealing with the swaggering soldiers
who brawl and sometimes rape their women certainly think of them as
imperial enclaves, just as the people of ancient Iberia or
nineteenth-century India knew that they were victims of foreign
colonization."