[Peace-discuss] Once again

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Nov 28 19:12:41 CST 2010

Sunday, Nov 28, 2010 06:29 ET
The FBI successfully thwarts its own Terrorist plot
By Glenn Greenwald

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/11/28/fbi/index.html

...We hear the same exact thing over and over and over from accused Terrorists
-- that they are attempting to carry about plots in retaliation for past and
ongoing American violence against Muslim civilians and to deter such future
acts.  Here we find one of the great mysteries in American political culture:
that the U.S. Government dispatches its military all over the world -- invading,
occupying, and bombing multiple Muslim countries -- torturing them, imprisoning
them without charges, shooting them up at checkpoints, sending remote-controlled
drones to explode their homes, imposing sanctions that starve hundreds of
thousands of children to death  -- and Americans are then baffled when some
Muslims -- an amazingly small percentage -- harbor anger and vengeance at them
and want to return the violence.   And here we also find the greatest myth in
American political discourse:  that engaging in all of that military aggression
somehow constitutes Staying Safe and combating Terrorism -- rather than doing
more than any single other cause to provoke, sustain and fuel Terrorism.

UPDATE:  A very similar thing happened last month when the FBI announced that it
had arrested someone who was planning to bomb the DC Metro system when, in
reality, "the only plotting he did was in response to instructions from federal
agents he thought were accomplices."  That concocted FBI plot then led to the
Metro Police announcing a new policy of random searches of passengers' bags.

Meanwhile, in Oregon, the mosque sometimes attended by Mohamud was victimized
today by arson.  So the FBI did not stop any actual Terrorist plots, but they
may have helped inspire one.