[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Tea Party Discussion

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Nov 30 10:06:50 CST 2010

Belden,
I found the attachment on my other computer's mail program.
Don't know why it didnt show up on one and not the other.

I am a strong believer in participatory democracy and despise the political machine
which characterizes the present system.

I would say that the real Tea Party is all about Grassroots Participatory Democracy and not necessarily about
a Hard Shift to the Right.

But there are a wide variety of ideologies among those who identify with the Tea Party
and the negative elements of what is called the Right who have attempted to co-opt the
Tea Party and with some success have done just that, and some neoconservative
elements have gained some attention and prominence in the Tea Party.  But
that certainly does not typify the Tea Party as a whole although those elements
make the teabaggers an easy target for the detractors.

I was a speaker at the original Tea Party event in Champaign at the request of the organizers and I certainly did not encourage
any sort of racism or any of the neoconservative warmongering some might associate with teabaggers.
I would dare say that my remarks were well received.

It would be interesting if the panel included some who could defend the original Tea Party
as an uprising against the status quo which is what it really began and continues as in
its better forms around the country.

Wayne