[Peace-discuss] IVAW: Operation Recovery

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Oct 1 11:57:17 CDT 2010

What we need is a kinder gentler military.

All this maiming and raping and killing is way over-the-top on the
barbarism scale.

How can we expect the enemy to play nice with our soldiers
if we keep on disrespecting others in the military?

"When I enlisted, I thought we would be drinking
ice tea and playing Canasta on Saturday afternoons.
It turns out that the Army isn't really all that nice at all."

"I thought that the Infantry was about taking care of babies, singing to
them,
rocking them to sleep, reading them stories, stuff like that.  Boy, was
I wrong!"

On 10/1/2010 11:29 PM, Robert Naiman wrote:
> Campaign for GI and Veteran Rights - First sector: Right to Heal
> Operation Recovery: A Campaign to Stop the Deployment of Traumatized Troops
> http://www.ivaw.org/operation-recovery
>
> Campaign for GI and Veteran Rights - First sector: Right to Heal
> Operation Recovery: A Campaign to Stop the Deployment of Traumatized Troops
>
> Join our campaign now by making a Pledge of Support
>
> Thousands of troops are being sent to war despite suffering from Post
> Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and
> Military Sexual Trauma (MST).  Many of us within IVAW have faced or
> are currently facing deployment as we try to recover from the severe
> trauma we have already experienced.
>
> While we recognize that we must stop the deployment of all soldiers in
> order to end the occupations in Iraq and Afghanistan, we see the
> deployment of soldiers with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Traumatic
> Brain Injuries, and Military Sexual Trauma as particularly cruel,
> inhumane, and dangerous. Military commanders across all branches are
> pushing service members far past human limits for the sake of 'combat
> readiness.'  We cannot allow those commanders to continue to ignore
> the welfare of their troops who are, after all, human beings.
>
> There is a problem, a basic right is being denied, and we will
> organize to get it back.
>
> This issue affects all of us. Everyone needs to recognize that the
> improper standards of care in the military and VA are harming our
> brothers and sisters, our nation, and only furthers the cycle of
> dehumanization and destruction of these wars.
>
> Service members have the right to heal
> Because the military is desperate for warm bodies in the field, and
> the VA doesn't have the resources to serve all those in need, too
> often service members are conveniently denied care or access to
> quality mental health screenings.  We say, service members with PTSD,
> TBI, MST, and combat stress have the right to high quality health
> care.  They have the right to seek care and pursue treatments in the
> best interest of their health and well-being.
>
> Service members have the right to receive medical care and advice from
> medical professionals.
A commander's orders always supersede the
> opinion of military medical professionals when it comes to the
> well-being of our troops.  We say, no military authority shall
> override the advice of medical professionals regarding the health of
> service members.
>
> Service members who experience PTSD, TBI, MST, and combat stress have
> the right to exit the traumatic situation and receive immediate
> support, and compensation.
 Too often, service members are forced to