[Peace-discuss] End the war vs. Pakistan (vii)

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sat Oct 2 16:30:10 CDT 2010

Former "Peace Candidate" John Kerry weighs in...

    U.S. officials said there is now less concern about upsetting the
    Pakistanis than there was a few months ago, and that the U.S. is
    being more aggressive in its response to immediate threats from
    across the border.

    /"You have to deal with the sanctuaries," Senate Foreign Relations
    Committee Chairman John Kerry (D., Mass.) said after meeting with
    Pakistan's foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, in Washington
    this week. "I've pushed very, very hard with the Pakistanis
    regarding that."/

    Tensions between the U.S. and Pakistan have been exacerbated in
    recent days by a series of cross-border attacks by North Atlantic
    Treaty Organization helicopter gunships. Islamabad responded by
    shutting a key border crossing used to supply Western troops in
    Afghanistan and threatening to halt NATO container traffic
    altogether. On Friday, militants in Pakistan attacked tankers
    carrying fuel toward another border crossing, in another sign of the
    vulnerability of NATO supply lines crossing Pakistani territory.