[Peace-discuss] Fw: Daniel Pipes to talk this Wednesday at Foellinger - "That was then, this is now" department

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 09:01:14 CDT 2010

The event is on the Hillel calendar, and also has a Facebook page, on which it
says this:

"Does the "War on Terror" still exist? Dr. Daniel Pipes, Middle East scholar,
author, and lecturer, will address this question, and shed light on a tumultuous
struggle which extends from distant deserts to academic halls, from the sheep
farm to the metropolis. You won't want to miss this amazing opportunity to hear
Dr. Pipes' message, and ask him your questions directly!

Dr. Pipes studies, writes, and lectures nationwide on the ...conflict between
radical Islam and the West. He knows Arabic, and has his doctorate in medieval
Islamic history; his studies have led him to conclude that "It's a mistake to
blame Islam, a religion 14 centuries old, for the evil that should be ascribed
to militant Islam, a totalitarian ideology less than a century old. Militant
Islam is the problem, but moderate Islam is the solution." He has taught world
history at the University of Chicago, history at Harvard, and policy strategy at
the Naval War College, in addition to directing the Foreign Policy Research
Institute serving at the U.S. Institute of Peace. Today he directs the thinktank
he founded, the Middle East Forum, and oversees Campus Watch, a project that
critiques academic literature published by North American Middle East
departments. His personal website is at www.DanielPipes.org.

This event is cosponsored by Stand With Us, the David Project, the Jewish
Community Relations Council, the Hillel Foundation at the University of
Illinois, the Chabad Jewish Center at the University of Illinois &
Champaign-Urbana, the American-Israeli Student Coalition, Great News Radio
(WGNN/WGNJ), the Orange and Blue Observer, and the Illini Conservative Union."

Certainly, speakers and organizations like this are promoting hate and
Islamophobia. Hillel should be taken to task for this, let's make that clear.
Nevertheless, I'm not at all sure what response is merited to what will most
likely--in this era--be a poorly attended event.

DG