[Peace-discuss] [Peace] "Chief" Homecoming event is CANCELLED!!

Robert Kutz rbkutz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 19:09:38 CDT 2010

Declaring the triumph of censorship is perhaps premature given no
explanation for the cancellation. I think we can afford at least a reserved
and tentative pleasure in this case.

And in response to the obvious pressure the University was placing on the
'last dance' event - anybody is certainly free to discuss or reminisce about
the Chief as they wish, but I see no reason to believe that the University's
'trademark' claim is illegitimate. I can talk about Mickey Mouse all I like,
but it's hardly a violation of free speech that I can't paint him on the
side of my shop.

It's debatable whether this is an issue of free speech at this point, but
it's hardly a matter of debate whether we can be happy that this celebration
of a racist caricature will apparently not proceed as planned, I think.