[Peace-discuss] trademark / "Next Dance" cancelled / I was wrong

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 01:36:49 CDT 2010

Karen,I'd say we're given three gifts. The ability to love, the ability to ask questions, and the ability to say "Nyah nyah!" --Jenifer

--- On Thu, 10/14/10, Karen Medina <kmedina67 at gmail.com> wrote:It was about trademark, but I was wrong: the U does retain the trademark.
Basically the U of I will sue the Honor the Chief Society group if
they continue to use Chief Illiniwek.
Interesting. Very interesting.

>From the News-Gazette:

Legal costs halt plans for Chief's 'Next Dance'

By Paul Wood
Created 10/14/2010 - 3:52pm
Thu, 10/14/2010 - 3:52pm |

CHAMPAIGN – A Chief Illiniwek performance planned for homecoming
weekend has been postponed indefinitely after the University of
Illinois threatened legal sanction.

Roger Huddleston of Mahomet, the co-founder of the Honor the Chief
Society, said his group doesn't have the money to wage a legal battle
with the UI over the Chief Illiniwek trademark.

Just last week, Huddleston said "The Next Dance" would go on despite
the cease-and-desist letter.

"It's a darn shame," Huddleston said Thursday. "I feel particularly
bad for the young people. I can't jeopardize them. And we just don't
have the money to fight this. We're not conceding that the
cease-and-desist order is valid, but we have to look at it."

He said the Students for Child Illiniwek, which was to be the sponsor
of the Chief's dance performance at the Assembly Hall, could be
affected because the Honor the Chief Society is a financial backer.

Urbana campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler had little reaction to the news.

"It's really the student group's decision. As long as they meet the
criteria to use a university facility, and I believe they have, they
can go on," she said.

Samantha Uher, a UI junior and president of Students for Chief
Illiniwek, told The News-Gazette on Thursday afternoon: "I'm still in
shock."

"We've been looking forward to it; they're just taking another step.
Last year they tried to take us down administratively, this year with
legal power, and we just don't have the means to fight it," Uher
added.

Uher said there was a chance the dance could be held at a later date.

The Oct. 1 letter from Chicago lawyer Andrew L. Goldstein, demands
that the Honor the Chief Society:

"Withdraw trademark application Serial No. 77/136902; remove the
reference to the Chief Illiniwek name in connection with the posters
and pin offered on the society's web site; cease and desist from sale
of the pin bearing the Illini trademark; and remove the references on
the society's web site to performances or appearances by Chief
Illiniwek and cease and desist from any similar statements."

The letter also asks the society to "provide us with written
assurances that the society will not use, and will cease any use of,
the Chief Illiniwek name or other trademarks of the University of
Illinois on its web site."

"Even though we've got a permit from them for the dance, we can't
afford the risk," Huddleston said.

The third annual "Next Dance" was scheduled for UI homecoming weekend,
Oct. 23, starting at 6 p.m. at the Assembly Hall, following the Illini
football game against Indiana.

Ivan Dozier of Ivesdale, a UI sophomore, was to perform the Chief's
dance, after winning an auditions held last spring by Students for
Chief Illiniwek.

karen medina
"In this universe, we are given two gifts: the ability to love, and
the ability to ask questions." (Mary Oliver, American poet)