[Peace-discuss] Chief's 'Next Dance' is back on

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 19:16:07 CDT 2010

So, the Next Dance event is back on.

My immediate reaction is: When you tell people they can't do something, they
are going to be more likely to rally and want to do it. And more people will
probably show up than had originally planned to go. And they got free
publicity. Freedom of speech triumphs.  We can and should also speak.

I think the University will not sue the group. I think the U was hoping that
the threat to sue them would be enough.

A few lines from the article:

"The kids met last night and they just absolutely redoubled their efforts.
They basically said, we're not going to be let the legal threats stop us.
He's our Chief and we're going to go on full steam ahead."

'Huddleston said his group would guarantee the student group against losses
for the dance.' "There was a reassurance. We assured the students that we
would back the total costs" of the event, Huddleston said.

He said those costs included $4,500 for the hall, $3,000 for security and
$2,800 for the Assembly Hall's video board.

UI spokeswoman Robin Kaler said, "This is a student group event. They have
rented space on campus for it, and it’s up to them whether to hold it."

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM, ann h. <annhett at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.news-gazette.com/news/environment/2010-10-15/chiefs-next-dance-back.html
>
> ==============================
> Rich Whitney for Gov:
> http://www.whitneyforgov.org/
> http://www.amazon.com/shops/4agoodcause<http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/sweetpea/Homepage.aspx>
> http://icasualties.org

karen medina
"In this universe, we are given two gifts: the ability to love, and the
ability to ask questions." (Mary Oliver, American poet)