[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Series...

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Sun Oct 17 13:38:44 CDT 2010

In your eyes; but that does not necessarily hold for other people's point of view.  For all practical purposes you have become a single issue person in that you place this issue above all others and give it a moral imperative; others may not do either.  Thus, they will disagree with you on the issues, their priority, and who is the best to vote for on the whole over a larger general range of issues.  Personally, given the American system, I believe that voting is irrelevant and merely a ritualized exercise that most people engage in as an article of faith and optimism in order to pretend that they are participating in their governance.  As such, it is a spectator sport of sorts, which I believe to be a waste of time and resources. But just as the notion that voter's can be effective in the system and have their interests actually represented over those of the corporations and the establishment personnel is an accepted illusion, so is the notion that the average American really want to and is willing to do anything but bitch an illusion.  The average American fears change and does not want change if it is going to cost them anything to achieve it and it does not gain them personal immediate gratification.  We are a "me" country and not a "we" country.  We are a country that is narrow minded and focused on personal self-interests as individuals and as a country - screw everyone else and other countries if it means that our needs and desires are not the primary ones to bew looked after.