[Peace-discuss] Tea Party Wingnuts Attack 1st Amendment Separation of Church and State

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 20 18:53:04 CDT 2010

A more balanced reading comes from Wikipedia, where there is an extended discussion. In its opening statement there is the following:

The metaphor  [a wall of separation between church and state] was intended, as The U.S. Supreme Court has currently interpreted it since 1947, to mean that religion and government must stay separate for the benefit of both, including the idea that the government must not impose religion on Americans nor create any law requiring it (my emphasis).  It has since been in several opinions handed down by the United States Supreme Court,[1] though the Court has not always fully embraced the principle.[2][3][4][5][6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States

The wish to control and impose religion on others, i.e. thought control, is the reason for the cited high court's decisions. Madison was perhaps the chief proponent, with Jefferson, of the "wall of separation". Of course, Estabrook et al. tries to disparage this interpretation, claiming that these writers of the Constitution were just anti-democratic wealthy men (as reflected in the first amendment and the rest of the Constitution).

--mkb