[Peace-discuss] Tea Party Wingnuts Attack 1st Amendment Separation of Church and State

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 20 20:10:16 CDT 2010

The precise words: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" - i.e., Congress is
prohibited from either establishing a religion (= church) where it isn't
established, or disestablishing one where it is established  - as it was in six
states in 1787.

There isn't any argument on this point among legal scholars.  If you're
impressed by Wikipedia accounts, see

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause_of_the_First_Amendment>

- or the Law Review article I cited, available through the library.   --CGE