[Peace-discuss] Grover Cleveland October 25 1887

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Oct 26 06:24:35 CDT 2010

On OCTOBER 25, 1887, President Grover Cleveland proclaimed a National
Day of Thanksgiving and Prayer:

"The goodness and the mercy of God, which have followed the American
people during all the days of the past year, claim their grateful
recognition and humble acknowledgment."

Grover Cleveland continued:

"By His omnipotent power He has protected us from war and pestilence and
from every national calamity; by His gracious favor the earth has
yielded a generous return...by His loving kindness the hearts of our
people have been replenished... and by His unerring guidance we have
been directed in the way of national prosperity.

To the end that we may with one accord testify our gratitude for all
these blessings, I, Grover Cleveland, President of the United States, do
hereby designate and set apart...a day of thanksgiving and prayer, to be
observed by all the people of the land.

On that day let all secular work and employment be suspended, and let
our people assemble in their accustomed places of worship and with
prayer and songs of praise give thanks to our Heavenly Father for all
that He has done for us, while we humbly implore the forgiveness of our
sins and a continuance of His mercy."