[Peace-discuss] [Peace] come and share your reasons for being against this war with Dr. Gill / Tuesday, 5pm-6pm / UPTV 400 South Vine Street, Urbana, IL

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 27 12:56:03 CDT 2010

Mort--

Naturally I appreciate your tender concern for my absence from AOTA's interview
with David Gill.  In fact at the time I was literally up in the air, flying
Missoula-Denver-Dallas-CU and arriving home just in time to see the program.  In
fact, I would love to have asked Gill some questions about the war - and to
quote back to  him his evasions from the past.

Linda got Gill to agree to be on the show - and asked me not to be
"confrontational." But Gill said he couldn't make the regular recording time. So
I asked the accommodating people at UPTV to provide us with other possible
times: Gill eventually chose 5-6pm on 10/26.  As it happened, I was out of town
Friday-Tuesday.

I've been corresponding with Gill since he announced for the seat in the fall of
2009 - trying to get him to come clean on his stance on the war. (From the
News-Gazette, October, 2009:  "Gill said he would not support a total withdrawal
of U.S. forces from Afghanistan...")

Gill's statement read at the top of program managed to evade any mention of (a)
the administration's motive for the AfPak war and its lies ("stopping
terrorism") about those motives; (b) any principled - as opposed to "pragmatic"
("we might not be winning") - reason to oppose the war (as found, e.g., among
Ron Paulists, Libertarians and paleo-conservatives); and/or (c) a pledge like
Tim Johnson's to vote against any more money for war. (And Johnson is in fact
voting that way.) What the statement does contain are self-serving errors in
fact about the history of the AfPak war.

As for the no-hope comment, did you note that the NYT gave Gill a 0.2% (that's
two-tenths of one percent) chance of winning?

And I'm sorry you don't see the difference between Gill's campaign and the
"presumed futile" Green party campaign for the same seat in 2002.  The Greens
took advantage of a quirk in the repressive election laws to run a campaign -
which they knew  they would loose - in order to raise issues that would not be
raised by the Republicans or Democrats. Gill evaded issues - especially the war
- in order to try to be elected.

It's not a smear to point out those evasions.  --CGE

<http://chris-floyd.com/articles/1-latest-news/2035-obamas-finest-hour-killing-innocent-people-for-qmade-up-crapq.html>.