[Peace-discuss] Is the Pentagon Deliberately "Degrading" Afghanistan's Capacity for Peace?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 28 15:55:16 CDT 2010

The goal of US policy surely seems to be, as you suggest, "to facilitate a
long-term US military presence in Afghanistan."

Despite Obama's lies about "stopping terrorism" - manifestly false (US
war-making in AfPak increases terrorism), and an expedient he's driven to by his
Constitutional situation at home - the USG wants the war as part of its
generation-long policy of controlling Mideast energy resources.

The danger is, as you point out, that  "a feasible peace deal almost certainly
implies a timetable for the withdrawal of US forces."

But a recognition of what the US is actually doing in AfPak and the region would
prevent any credence being lent to fatuities like the following from the local
Democratic candidate for Congress:

"...we cannot simply withdraw troops in a precipitous manner without risking
further destabilization of this already fragile and war-torn region. We need to
facilitate a political solution to the stabilization of Afghanistan and the
defeat of terrorists in the region"

<http://www.gill2010.com/issues/foreign-policy/afghanistan/>.  --CGE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/is-the-pentagon-deliberat_b_775353.html