[Peace-discuss] Is the Pentagon Deliberately "Degrading" Afghanistan's Capacity for Peace?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:12:47 CDT 2010

> "...we cannot simply withdraw troops in a precipitous manner without risking
> further destabilization of this already fragile and war-torn region. We need
> to facilitate a political solution to the stabilization of Afghanistan and
> the defeat of terrorists in the region"

I also find this irritating, maybe not for exactly the same reason as Carl.

This part I strongly agree with:

"We need to facilitate a political solution to the stabilization of Afghanistan"

But this is awful: "defeat of terrorists in the region"

This sounds like a War on Terror to me. We don't need to "defeat
terrorists in the region" and we can't do it even if we want to.

We need to facilitate a political solution so that a huge chunk of
people who are now using methods that we call "terrorism" to achieve
otherwise legitimate political aims - e.g., the removal of foreign
troops from their country - will no longer have any reason to do so.

Furthermore, this part drives me up the wall:

"we cannot simply withdraw troops in a precipitous manner"

Who in God's name is calling for "withdrawing troops in a precipitous
manner"? This is a strawman. A peace deal will have a timetable for
the withdrawal of foreign troops. Even the plan put forward by the
Hezb-e Islami, which they claimed they had Taliban support for, called
for a 2 year timetable for the withdrawal of foreign troops.

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Urge Congress to Support a Timetable for Military Withdrawal from Afghanistan
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/feingold-mcgovern