[Peace-discuss] Fw: Stealing your vote [racism in the polling booth]

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 10:26:57 CDT 2010

Fyi

--- On Fri, 10/29/10, James Rucker, ColorOfChange.org <no-reply at colorofchange.org> wrote:
#yiv2075728405 , #yiv2075728405 td, #yiv2075728405 font {font-size:10pt;}
#yiv2075728405
#yiv2075728405 td p {margin:0em;}
#yiv2075728405 p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv2075728405 td div p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv2075728405
#yiv2075728405 .yiv2075728405X0uMP p {margin:1em 0;}

Tea Party operatives are working to suppress voter turnout in Black communities.

Fight back -- vote  on Election Day, and sign up for Video the Vote!

Dear Jenifer,

At this point it's no secret: many people in this country simply don’t want Black people to vote.

Some of the most disturbing evidence from this election season comes from Houston, Texas, where a Tea Party affiliate called the King Street Patriots is running a massive voter suppression scheme. They are using race-baiting attacks to whip local conservatives into a frenzy over voter fraud,1 launching false attacks on a voter registration group working in Black communities,2 and allegedly intimidating voters at the polls3.

This is the surest sign yet of what’s at stake in this election. The Tea Party is so desperate to derail the change we voted for in 2008 that they’re relying on Jim Crow-era scare tactics to keep people from the polls. The most important thing you can do to fight back is vote, and make sure that your friends and family do as well. You can find your polling place here.

But you can do even more. Our friends at Video the Vote are looking for volunteers in your area to help document voting irregularities on Election Day. By recording activity at polling places, you’ll help keep groups like the King Street Patriots and their Tea Party allies in check, and provide evidence in case they cross the line. You can sign up by clicking the link below:

http://videothevote.org/?ref=coc

Around the country, the Tea Party is whipping its members into a frenzy with false allegations of voter fraud in Black, poor and young neighborhoods. Years of investigation have demonstrated that large-scale voter fraud is a complete myth.4 But Republicans continue to use alleged fraud to justify tactics that discourage people of color and poor people from voting.

This is especially true of the King Street Patriots (KSP), whose heavy-handed tactics have gotten so bad that the United States Department of Justice has begun to monitor the situation.5

But this isn’t just happening in Texas. In Wisconsin, Arizona and Illinois, right-wing goons are using false claims of voter fraud to suppress the votes of Black folks, Latinos, and young people.6,7,8 They’re counting on keeping regular folks just like you from showing up at the polls so that the Tea Party can continue to bully its way into power.

An important way to stand up to these tactics and fight for the change we voted for two years ago is to make sure that you and everyone you know vote on Election Day. You can locate your polling place by clicking here.

And for those who want to do even more, one of the most important things you can do is work with Video the Vote to record activity at the polls. Nothing scares people behind these voter suppression campaigns more than citizens armed with video cameras watching their every move. Please sign up for Video the Vote today, and encourage your friends and family to do the same:

http://videothevote.org/?ref=coc

Thanks and Peace,

-- James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Natasha and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team

   October 29th, 2010
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU — your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:

https://secure.colorofchange.org/contribute/