[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Potluck + SOA discussion coming up at the Catholic Worker House

Laurie Nobilette laurie.nobilette at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:25:26 CDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: St. Jude Catholic Worker <stjudecatholicworker at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Subject: Potluck + SOA discussion coming up at the Catholic Worker House

Hello...

We are going to start hosting potlucks and roundtables again and we'd love
to have you come join us for food and conversation! Starting in November we
will have a Potluck on the first Monday of every month. Potlucks will begin
at 6pm followed by discussion and hanging out!

The topic for Monday, November 1st (next Monday) will be School of the
Americas... we'll eat and watch the short film "On the Line," as well as
hear from some folks who have been involved with SOAW and attended the
annual SOA protest in Fort Benning, GA. Whether you're familiar with SOA or
not, please come join us next Monday evening, and feel free to bring some
food to share if you want! Also, check out www.soaw.org

For the December potluck, we'll watch "Money as Debt," an animated short
film that gives the history of currency, banking, and our government's
"fractional reserve system:" the creation of money through citizens' debt.

Starting in 2011, potluck/roundtable topics will include Conflict in
Palestine (to put it mildly), Alternative Education, Monsanto, and more...

Hope to see ya'll next Monday at 6PM (or whenever you can make it) for good
food, good company, and hopefully good conversation. As always, please stop
by and visit us anytime...

Grace + Peace + Love...
Tyler

The School of the Americas (SOA), in 2001 renamed the “Western Hemisphere
Institute for Security Cooperation,” is a combat training school for Latin
American soldiers, located at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Initially established in Panama in 1946, it was kicked out of that country
in 1984 under the terms of the Panama Canal Treaty. Former Panamanian
President, Jorge Illueca, stated that the School of the Americas was the
“biggest base for destabilization in Latin America.” The SOA, frequently
dubbed the “School of Assassins,” has left a trail of blood and suffering in
every country where its graduates have returned.

Over its 59 years, the SOA has trained over 60,000 Latin American soldiers
in counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training, commando and psychological
warfare, military intelligence and interrogation tactics. These graduates
have consistently used their skills to wage a war against their own people.
Among those targeted by SOA graduates are educators, union organizers,
religious workers, student leaders, and others who work for the rights of
the poor. Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans have been tortured,
raped, assassinated, “disappeared,” massacred, and forced into refugee by
those trained at the School of Assassins.

Every November, thousands gather at the gates of Fort Benning to stand up
for justice, to shut down the School of the Americas and to end the
oppressive U.S. foreign policy that the school represents. We invite you to
join us this November as we remember, in solemnity, the victims, and as we
grow stronger than ever before in our resistance.

St. Jude Catholic Worker
317 S. Randolph St.
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 355-9774