[Peace-discuss] Iraq/Afghanistan: A Promise Kept, A Promise Deferred

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 1 22:46:55 CDT 2010

["A Promise Kept, A Promise Deferred"? Not at all.  And this is hardly the time
that the soi-disant left should be making excuses for the US government's war
policy.]

On Tuesday night, Barack Obama gave a speech from the Oval Office
<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/world/01military.html>on Iraq that was almost
as full of hideous, murderous lies as the speech on Iraq his predecessor gave in
the same location more than seven years ago.

After mendaciously declaring an "end to the combat mission in Iraq" -- where
almost 50,000 regular troops and a similar number of mercenaries still remain,
carrying out the same missions they have been doing for years -- Obama delivered
what was perhaps the most egregious, bitterly painful lie of the night:

    "Through this remarkable chapter in the history of the United States and
    Iraq, we have met our responsibility."

"/We have met our responsibility!/" No, Mister President, we have /not/. Not
until many Americans of high degree stand in the dock for war crimes. Not until
the United States pays hundreds of billions of dollars in unrestricted
reparations to the people of Iraq for the rape of their country and the mass
murder of their people. Not until the United States opens its borders to accept
all those who have been and will be driven from Iraq by the savage ruin we have
inflicted upon them, or in flight from the vicious thugs and sectarians we have
loosed -- and empowered -- in the land. Not until you, Mister President, go down
on your knees, in sackcloth and ashes, and proclaim a National of Day of Shame
to be marked each year by lamentations, reparations and confessions of blood
guilt for our crime against humanity in Iraq.

Then and only then, Mister President, can you say that America has /begun /-- in
even the most limited, pathetic way -- to "meet its responsibility" for what it
has done to Iraq. And unless you do this, Mister President -- /and you never
will/ -- you are just a lying, bloodsoaked apologist, accomplice and perpetrator
of monstrous evil, like your predecessor and his minions -- many of whom, of
course, are now /your /minions.

I really don't have anything else to say about this sickening spectacle -- which
is being compounded in Britain, where I live, by the sight today of Tony Blair's
murder-tainted mug plastered on the front of the main newspapers, as he makes
the rounds pushing his new book, doling out "exclusive interviews" full of
crocodile tears for the soldiers he had murdered in the war crime he committed
and the "great suffering" of the Iraqi people which, goodness gracious, he never
foresaw and feels, gosh, really bad about. All this laced with venomous comments
about his former colleagues -- those who, like Gordon Brown, sold their souls to
advance Blair's vision of aggressive war abroad and corporate rapine at home --
along with, of course, earnest protestations of his God-directed good
intentions, and his unwavering belief that killing a million innocent human
beings in Iraq was "the right thing to do." Pol Pot could not have been more
blindly self-righteous than this wretched moral cretin.

I will say again what I have said here many, many times before: /What quadrant
of hell is hot enough for such men?
/

/[Full article at
<http://www.chris-floyd.com/articles/1-latest-news/2016-speech-defect-emissions-of-evil-from-the-oval-office.html>.]