[Peace-discuss] "Emerging adulthood"

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:10:11 CDT 2010

> ...what we have here is a youthful, healthy, highly-skilled, and
> economically desperate pool of surplus labor. This is to the benefit of
> corporations, educational institutions, NGOs, the low-paid service sector,
> the military, and the prison-industrial complex. Of course, in spite of the
> global spirit of desperate competition, winners and losers remain
> predictable in aggregate on the basis of their economic backgrounds, albeit
> with notable exceptions that reinforce the rule. All of this constitutes the
> so-called “meritocracy” in the neoliberal era.

Interesting paragraph, David. And well written.

The idea of surplus labor is worth looking closer.
Because I think there is plenty of work to be done.
* Rebuild New Orleans
* put out fires in Colorado
* put up some windmills
* harvesting fields in Illinois [my cousin is in need of some farm help]

Isn't there a way to rearrange workers to take up the work that needs
to be done.
Oh, wait, the CCC and WPA ...

-karen medina