[Peace-discuss] Jonesing

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 19:01:08 CDT 2010

If one knows a little about Delaware (I lived there for 5 years), one
understands this as a significant event in populist (anti-establishment) terms.
Castle, the defeated, has been Governor or Congressman, back and forth, for
decades without serous challenge, just as Biden and William Roth were, gaining
power with seniority as if they were senators from the old segregationist South.
The state is the epitome of bipartisan blandness, and it's assumed that
electoral politics is above any populist passion. But as Cockburn points out
today, it's a very corrupt state due to the credit card banks, and to a certain
extent DuPont. The population is supposed to feel grateful to have two (usually
powerful) Senators for a small population, and to have no sales tax to attract
consumers from adjacent states (MD, PA, NJ, anyone going down I-95 between Maine
and Florida.) That Senate seat was supposed to rightfully belong to
Castle--explaining the reaction.

DG