[Peace-discuss] Can the U.S. Negotiate Peace in Afghanistan?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 17 20:25:14 CDT 2010

  See also Jonathan Steele on the neo-Taliban:

"Until the Obama administration comes round to the idea of negotiations,
progress is stalled ... But Obama will have to move at some point from his
'reconciliation' policy to one of 'accommodation'. That means taking the
Taliban's grievances on board and being willing to address them in a compromise
deal that is likely to involve the formation of a power-sharing government in
Kabul in return for a US withdrawal. The US public is growing steadily more
disillusioned with what is already America's longest war..."
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n17/jonathan-steele/diary>.

Jonathan Steele, a former chief foreign correspondent for the /Guardian/, has
reported regularly from Afghanistan since 1981. /Defeat: Why They Lost Iraq/
came out in paperback last year.