[Peace-discuss] Linda Polman on "Afghaniscam": is U.S. "Aid" Making Things Worse?

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 20 19:26:17 CDT 2010

I'm puzzled by your response; we seem to be talking at cross purposes. In principle, I'm not opposed to all U.S. wars, for example one in which the U.S. would be attacked militarily by a foreign power not in response to an American attack. Indeed, what I've said is that the "details" of what HAS happened ought to be a basis for ignoring counterfactual arguments. If the evidence already exists abundantly, that is sufficient reason to infer that continued policies of the same sort will (probably) yield similar results. Are you saying that most Americans, especially "intellectuals"—those that read—are not yet aware of the facts of the U.S wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, e.g., the U.S. casualties/costs in the current wars/occupations, not to speak of Iraqi/Afghan/Pakistani casualties and costs?

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but we are not talking about the same thing, it seems.