[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Richard Dawkins Furious At Pope For TyingGodless To Nazis

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 20 23:25:13 CDT 2010

Carl--

Your points [2] do not address what Dawkins has argued and criticized (in the quoted piece).
Aside from that, I think Dawkins pointed out that much of the church was, at best, quiet under Nazism, including the Pope, so the fact that a few pastors came out and suffered under the Nazis is neither here nor there.

As to point [1], I've read most of Dawkins' "The God Illusion". Despite his atheism, I don't like Hitchens, so I don't want him in my camp. As for the other two, I don't know that I have the energy and patience to read them, but perhaps….  Moreover, Eagleton has always struck me as a non-entity. Instead, we might add authors writing for The Humanist magazine. Finally, I' don't like your panel title. Perhaps we could discuss god (or God), the Church and State, in western Europe and the USA. Perhaps the abuses wrought by the church in their sexual mishaps.  Or, we could even bring in Islam (of which I know very little).

-- Mort

P.S. This seems off topic of peace-discuss.