[Peace-discuss] FBI Raids homes

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 24 13:20:24 CDT 2010

This is appalling.   Thank you for posting these notices!

(*We* need to be "indoctrinating" more people, apparently!)

Has anyone heard about this by any other route?  I see your
earlier note looks to be what's on the front page of the
Minneapolis/St. Paul IMC,
   http://twincities.indymedia.org/
but nothing's shown up on the UCIMC global newswire yet.

One of the comments to twincities.indymedia.org mentions this
article in the local paper there.  The article seems sympathetic with
the targeted activists and gives them a good deal of space to talk.
I didn't know the Strib had it in it -- it's been a pretty blah
newspaper for a long time.  Good for them.

   http://www.startribune.com/local/103716104.html?page=1&c=y

Something else to watch for, mentioned in the above: An
FBI agent is quoted as saying that, besides some six warrants
in Minneapolis, they are also serving two warrants in *Chicago*.
'A defense attorney' mentions that the Chicago warrants
are related to a grand jury investigation.

Two lawyers are quoted in the article too:

    Ted Dooley, an attorney, said he had reviewed the search warrant issued in
    the raid on Kelly's apartment. "It's a probe into the political beliefs of
    American citizens and to any organization anywhere that opposes the American
    imperial design," he said.

and:

    Attorney Bruce Nestor, who has represented antiwar organizations and individual
    protesters, said he was in New Orleans, attending a convention of the National
    Lawyers Guild and was notified by phone from activists that federal agents
    showed up with a search warrant at Sundin's apartment to seize documents,
    cell phones and computers.

    "It appears to be an investigation and a claim of support for foreign terrorist
    organizations," said Nestor. He said the organizations are designated as
    terrorist by executive order of the president.

    "There is no process whereby you can contest the designation," he said. "Ever
    since these laws were passed in 1996, there is a concern that they reach so
    broadly as to certainly chill or intimidate people in speaking out on foreign
    policy or support for groups that oppose U.S. foreign policy."