[Peace-discuss] Power & slaughter

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 1 10:25:41 CDT 2011

Frank Brodhead:

Alexander Cockburn's brief characterization of [Obama's NSC aide]  Samantha
Power's/Problem from Hell/ as a study of "US foreign-policy response to
genocide" is not quite accurate.  Among  its "case studies," the book includes
only those situations/countries where the genocide was outside the US
sphere/area of control.  It does not include any studies about genocides that
took place in areas within the US sphere/area of control, such as Indonesia,
Guatemala, Turkey/the Kurds, etc.  I asked her about this at one of her
lectures; she said my complaint was false, because her chapter on Saddam's
gassing of Halabja was of the period in which Saddam was a US ally/client. Not
much of a defense....Whether deliberately or not, Power's argument for US
intervention against mass killing is framed as an argument for expanding the
United States' military reach, while not troubling itself about mass killing
within its own sphere of control/influence.