[Peace-discuss] Kucinich: Obama Admin Transferring Wealth to the Few

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 13 14:12:57 CDT 2011

Dennis Kucinich: Obama administration presiding over transfer of wealth from the
mass to the upper few

[Dennis Kucinich, elected mayor of Cleveland at the age of 31 in 1977, is the
youngest person ever elected to head a major US city. Previously, Kucinich
served on the Cleveland City Council. He won his Congress seat in 1996 and while
there has authored or co-sponsored bills related to the health care system,
Social Security, education and calling for the abolition of the death penalty.
Kucinich has also called for the repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act and for the
impeachment of Vice President Dick Cheney. He is a former presidential
candidate, and was reelected into a seventh term in Congress, representing the
10th District of Ohio.]

PAUL JAY: Welcome to The Real News Network. I'm Paul Jay. We're in Washington,
in the Capitol building with Congressman Dennis Kucinich. Thanks for joining us
again.

DENNIS KUCINICH: Thank you.

JAY: President Obama will be speaking soon about his deficit plan. Some people
are saying the White House is more allied with the Republican Party than
sections of the Democratic Party when it comes to the deficit discourse. What's
your take on this?

KUCINICH: I think those people are probably right. I mean, how can you have a
discussion about the deficit without looking at the fact that our defense budget
has grown over $700 billion a year, that we will spend trillions of dollars in
Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan? Now we have a new war in Libya. No one's talking
about reduction in those areas. Where the discussion is, we're going to reduce
the basic benefits that people have to take care of their health. I don't buy it.

JAY: The whole kind of taking on of the deficit as the issue argument has been
embraced by the White House. They kind of gave up on the debate, whether the
issue was deficit fighting or the issue was moving the economy.

KUCINICH: Well, how did we get a deficit? I mean, the Bush tax cuts added a
trillion dollars. His wars have added several trillion dollars. The Fed, through
their program of quantitative easing, has pumped trillions of dollars into their
own bailout program for banks. The deficit and the reason why we have it
underscores the transfer of wealth that's occurring in this country from the
great mass of people into the hands of a few. And the Obama administration's
actually presiding over that. That's, like, their job, to continue to accelerate
the wealth upwards. That's why Wall Street has such extraordinary influence on
the economic policy of this administration. That's why we have such a high level
of unemployment. That's why the Dodd-Frank bill doesn't reach to stop the kind
of black box derivatives that are going to drive another cycle of boom-bust.
That's why the oil companies have so much influence in our energy policies.
That's why privatization is in the background of the attack on the post office.
That's why we're still at war. That's why we're being dragged around the world
on imperialist policies that have nothing to do with America's mission to its
people. So yeah. I mean, so we end up with a deficit. Yeah, we have a financial
deficit. But we also have a moral deficit.

JAY: The president apparently is going to say on Wednesday night that he's going
to follow the lead of this presidential deficit commission, this bipartisan
commission, which apparently takes as its underling assumption that the
fundamental issue facing America is to reduce the debt. And there's going to
be--and apparently he's already putting into play debt reduction [inaudible]
somewhere near, not at the rate of, but near what the Republicans are calling
for. What do you make of this kind of internalization and lack of combat on the
argument itself?

KUCINICH: Well, let's think about this. The president is going to accept the
lead of his deficit reduction commission. I have an idea. Why doesn't the
president lead? Why doesn't the president challenge these corporations who have
basically single-handedly driven the United States economy over a cliff? Why
doesn't the president challenge the military-industrial complex, which is now
putting us into a fourth war? Why doesn't the president challenge not just the
tax cuts to the wealthy, but conditions where corporations are getting away
without paying any taxes at all, including one corporation that is tied quite
directly to one of the president's top economic advisors? I mean, you can't pawn
this off on some commission. I mean, presidents have always done that. Like, oh,
I'll appoint a commission, let them make the decision, and I'll implement it.
No, that's not the way it works. We elected Barack Obama president of the United
States, and we have a right to expect him to lead on these economic matters. And
there is no discussion about creating more jobs. There is no discussion about
getting America back to work. And, frankly, you know what? If you've got people
working, that starts to lower your debt, because people are paying money in. But
the geniuses on Wall Street decided that a certain amount of unemployment is
necessary for the proper functioning of the economy.

JAY: So what do you say to ordinary people who voted for President Obama - they
voted for one thing, and they seem to be getting another thing, and they say to
you, well, what should we do?

KUCINICH: I think it's important to explore these inconsistencies, and to ask
questions, and to demand that we move forward as a nation, where everyone
achieves economic progress. We're seeing a jobless recovery. We're seeing an
intensification of the differences between rich and poor. That's happening on
the watch of a Democrat. I mean, frankly, we need to challenge the president not
to simply live up to his promises, but to live up to the promise of his
administration that the American people bought into when they rallied to his
candidacy in November 2008. I was president during that inaugural. I saw two
million people gather on the Mall in a ceremony of extraordinary hope. You could
feel the energy on the Mall that day. You could summon it if the president
wanted to and put it as lightening in a bottle. And yet we've not only seen this
energy dissipate, but we've seen put in its place an agenda that is so
corporatist, so inflexibly dedicated to Wall Street's description of where the
economy has to go, that it's demolishing the hopes of millions to save their
homes, demolishing the hopes of millions to be able to have jobs, demolishing
the hopes of millions to be able to have a level of health care which they have
a right to expect.