[Peace-discuss] Invitation to Presentation on International Solidarity Movement

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 12:48:31 CDT 2011

Friends,

I would like to extend an invitation to an event at my home on Saturday, May
7th, from 5 to 8 p.m.

The speaker will be Jasmine Zimmer-Stucky, who has worked with the International
Solidarity Movement in the Occupied Palestinian territories, most often in East
Jersualem.

Jasmine offers this description of her talk, which will include photographs and
other visuals:

"I will be talking about my time in the Occupied Palestinian territories (OPt),
specifically, the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Shiekh Jarrah. I lived in the
OPt for 5 months, much of the time on the street in Sheikh Jarrah. Palestinian
families, refugees from the 1948 creation of the State of Israel, were settled
in Sheikh Jarrah by the United Nations and Jordanian government. Over the past
two years, four families have been evicted and their homes transferred to Jewish
settler organizations. Two families, the Gawis and the Al-Kurds are protesting
their eviction, illegal under international law, by raising their families on
the streets in front of their former homes.

The International Solidarity Movement (ISM) works under nonviolent Palestinian
community groups to end the occupation.  We employ solidarity tactics that have
come from the people directly impacted by the occupation: media assistance, non
violent direct action, international accomplishment and jail support. In Sheikh
Jarrah, ISM  volunteers lived full time on the streets, sleeping in tents,
taking watch shifts throughout the night. The goal of our presence was to
de-escalate tense and often violent conflict and acts vandalism committed by
Jewish settlers on Palestinian residents of Shiekh Jarrah, provide video
documentation and media support, offer tours and aid with international outreach
efforts on behalf of residents.

I will speak of my personal experiences in Sheikh Jarrah, including how hula
hooping saved me from being arrested, attending weekly demonstrations against
the occupation, learning to cook Palestinian meals and building relationships
with Palestinian residents and Israeli solidarity activists."

Jasmine is from Oregon, and has also been involved in environmental actions
there. You can google her and find out a little bit about her involvement with
tree-sitting actions; she will also of course be willing to say a few words
about that during the question period.

Jasmine's presentation will be followed by food and beverages. A $10 per person
donation would be appreciated, but not mandatory as either a maximum or minimum.
All proceeds will go directly to support the work of the ISM.

Since this event will take place at my home, I'll need to have a relatively
accurate idea of how many plan to attend. Please RSVP to me personally at
davegreen84 at yahoo.com. But if you should decide to come on short notice, please
feel free; just let me know, in case space becomes an issue. I will send address
and parking information to those who RSVP.

Also, feel free to pass this invitation along to anyone who might be interested
but may not be on the AWARE listservs.

Thanks.

David Green