[Peace-discuss] Now the Animal Lovers are anti-Semites

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 08:09:22 CDT 2011

http://www.dailyillini.com/opinions/letters-to-the-editor/2011/04/18/camel-rides-on-quad-didn-t-align-with-group-s-cause

You won’t see me naked in a cage or strapped to a billboard as a champion for
animal rights, but my heart goes out to the camel on the Quad. On April 14, $3
camel rides were offered to as an insight to Israeli culture. According to
the217.com, “The camel is getting quite the workout — more than 1,500 people are
‘attending’ on Facebook.” The line on the Quad included hundreds of students all
eager to ride a single camel. Needless to say, the six-hour riding period was
probably not the high point of the camel’s day. Any swing in its step had been
lost to the anxieties of laughing students and unfamiliar terrain. Ironically,
the event was to benefit The Jerusalem Society for the Protection Against
Cruelty to Animals. This begs the question: How much “insight” are students
really getting at this animal’s expense? Of 1,500 riders, how many are really
thinking about anything more than the quirky Facebook photo they’ll soon be
sharing? This event reveals a gross lack of empathy on the part of students and
organizers, as well as a disappointing step backwards for its cause.

Hannah Lindahl,
freshman in FAA