[Peace-discuss] Who's in, who's out

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 21 14:40:03 CDT 2011

In the great war in Pakistan - I mean the war between the CIA and the Pentagon,
who seem to be engaged in competitive killing of Asians to establish their
respective brands (see "How the Pentagon Supervised Raymond Davis' Release and
How the CIA Took Its Revenge"
/<http://www.counterpunch.org/qadir03222011.html>/) - the CIA is looking like
Charlie Sheen: "Winning!"

It is rumored that Leon Panetta, head of the CIA will become Defense Secretary
in succession to Robert Gates, Bush/Obama's man. Panetta is a Democratic party
apparatchik, chief of staff in the WH under Clinton, who at the CIA successfully
fought off the attempt to reform the Company by placing it under the
recently-created Director of National Intelligence.

Meanwhile, a more substantial rumor has that most political of generals, David
Petraeus, becoming head of the CIA.  That may look like a win for the Pentagon,
except that the "ass-kissing little chickenshit//" (as Petraeus was described by
one of his former superiors, displaced by Petraeus) seems to be cordially hated
by the uniformed cadre at the Pentagon, and his move to Langley may simply be an
admission that he's playing for the other team (of course always really for Team
Petraeus).

This seems to argue (as does the attack on Libya) that the foreign policy
establishment is in charge, and the JCS in the Pentagon have lost another round.
Those who've read Tim Weiner's/Legacy of Ashes/ can hardly think that this is a
Good Thing.

    No, no, no, no! Come, let's away to prison.
    We two alone will sing like birds i' th' cage.
    When thou dost ask me blessing, I'll kneel down
    And ask of thee forgiveness. So we'll live,
    And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
    At gilded butterflies, and hear poor rogues
    Talk of court news; and we'll talk with them too-
    Who loses and who wins; who's in, who's out-
    And take upon 's the mystery of things,
    As if we were God's spies; and we'll wear out,
    In a wall'd prison, packs and sects of great ones
    That ebb and flow by th' moon.