[Peace-discuss] periodic call to action: call about Illinois limiting the health care options to BlueCrossBlueShield and putting downstate employees in a bad possition

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:27:03 CDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 04:13:15PM -0500, John W. wrote:
> Stuart, I'm reasonably certain that Blue Cross Blue Shield has PPO
> agreements or arrangements with Carle, Christie Clinic, and Provena
> Hospital.  Is a PPO not as good, in your view, as an HMO?  Are you including
> a PPO under your heading of "conventional insurance"?
>
> John Wason

(following up with this correction to peace-discuss, for my peace of mind, at least)

John,

It's true, I was thinking of a PPO as acting like conventional insurance,
but hadn't looked into the details in this case.  After a bit of
digging, you're right -- *if* they know what to do, PersonalCare HMO
(Provena/Christie) users will have to switch away from an HMO, but they
can still get coverage that looks very similar to what they have now,
from (it seems) the same providers.

The new plan for State/University employees includes HealthLink OAP
(Open Access Plan).  This isn't formally an HMO -- it has multiple
tiers of providers, with different levels of coverage depending on
which ones you use.  However, the OAP Tier I coverage looks to be
the same as HMO coverage, judging from last year's State benefits booklet
plus the HealthLink web site for IL employees.   And, Provena Hospital
and at least many (maybe all?) of the Christie doctors
are included in Healthlink OAP Tier I.

That would explain why Provena isn't protesting the State change,
which might well drive some Health Alliance / Carle users into their fold.

The effect: people currently on PersonalCare HMO (Covenant &c)
must know to switch to Healthlink OAP during next month's
benefit-selection period.  (If they don't, they'll be dumped into
the Quality Care conventional-insurance plan and be stuck with it
for the full year.) But if they do make that switch, then they'll
be on a plan with a different name that is similar in cost
and features to what they have now.  And, they won't have to use
Blue Cross/Blue Shield (which has a bad reputation).

(Those of us using HealthAlliance HMO aren't so lucky.)