[Peace-discuss] [ucprogressives] [Discuss] Don't discriminate against the poor: Picket @ 6pm Council mtg @ 7pm

Eric Jakobsson jake at ncsa.illinois.edu
Tue Aug 2 09:53:09 CDT 2011

I am aware that I have had differences with many of you on this particular ordinance.  Whatever you think of where we wound up, we wound up in a much better place than we would have without the input and participation of the progressive community.  So you can beat me up all you want, but progressives should celebrate that your (our?) participation made a big difference in a good direction. (I have sometimes been called "progressive".)  I happen to think we wound up in about the best possible place, given the competing rights that were at issue.

All labels aside, I hope that you will join with me in pressing for serious consideration of something I talked about last night and began talking about earlier in the process, and that is an automatic referral to an appropriate social service agency for anybody who receives a warning under this ordinance.  This should provide an advocate for the violator within the system at the earliest possible time.  I was moved to think about this when researching similar ordinances in other cities, and found that the Philadelphia ordinance has this feature.  This coordination of law enforcement and social service delivery appears to have been successful on both counts; i.e., reducing aggressive solicitation and also providing mental health, substance abuse, etc. services to people who needed them but were not previously in the system to provide them.  It has not completely solved those problems (given the larger problems in society, no municipal ordinance could), but it seems to have alleviated them significantly.

A big problem is money.  Social service agencies are stretched very thin these days, and a system such as I am suggesting would cost something.  But Urbana is aware that we (all, Urbana, Champaign, Illinois, etc) must do better at funding social services, so it is a good time to put this concept into the mix of things to be considered, in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Eric Jakobsson

Alderperson, Ward 2, Urbana